Secret Edinburgh: Dana Alexander watches the sun rise at Arthur's Seat
Andrew Mickel14 August 2012
How do you beat everyone else to the best views on Arthur's Seat? Join Dana Alexander there before the sun comes up...
Arthur's Seat. It's not really a secret as it is a giant mountain. But with all the shows, parties (booze) and elderly people down below you would be surprised how many people actually can't physically make it up there. That's not to say that it's a strenuous hike, but you have to have the beer at the top.
The secret is to go up there before the sunrise which is early but you are more than likely to be up there alone. When the sun finally rises you will have a great view of the city and the lake (or loch!)
It can be quite cold up there at that time so bring a jacket. If you choose to go up there in afternoon you will see other tourists, but it's relatively spacious and it is easy enough to get a bit of grass to sit on. I'd bring a tarp as the grass is likely to be wet.
The good thing about a birds' eye view of the city is that it's a great way to see what's going on in Edinburgh. I saw a great food fest which I would never have known about if I hadn't gone up there. And then I ate half a pig.
Dana Alexander: Breaking Through is at the Underbelly Bristo Square, 1-27 August, 22:35. More info at the Ed Fringe site here.
Your rating: None
- Win Scott Capurro tickets at the Soho Theatre
- Thick Of It bleeped for US airings
- Peep show writers turned down Flight of the Conchords
- The Wrestling takes panel prize at Edinburgh Fringe comedy awards
- Andre Vincent
- Secret Edinburgh: Up & Over It save the pennies at £-Stretcher
- A profoundly off-topic chat with Humphrey Ker
- Phill Jupitus heads up Glastonbury 2010 comedy line-up
- Plebs’ Tom Rosenthal interview: ‘we can do stories about incest’
- Jimmy Bird wins Latitude new comedy act award