Secret Edinburgh: Tom Allen absorbs the towel department at John Lewis
Andrew Mickel16 August 2012
Tom Allen isn't at the Fringe this year - but on the basis of this, he'll probably be in John Lewis's anyway...
My favourite, and little known, place in Edinburgh has to be, without doubt, the towel department in John Lewis. There's something about all those neatly arranged fluffy pastel shades that's intensely calming.
The world's biggest arts festival is a lot of fun but I sometimes worry that there's no escape from the ceaseless posters and flyer teams; the thousands of other performers and the people in the industry known as 'the industry' - I'm never quite sure exactly who these people are but if I meet one I want to make sure I'm feeling rested.
I draw huge strength from the fact that none of these will be seeking out something as practical, and perhaps indulgent, as a towel set. Yarn twist? Pima cotton?...Egyptian cotton? Not sure? Ask an assistant they're very knowledgeable.
You can pass the time of day talking about something that has nothing to do with the festival and then when the time has come to leave this ultra absorbent haven, you can descend the escalator, don your kagool and return to the rain.
View Secret Edinburgh: Such Small Portions' map of over 50 comedians' favourite spots in the city in a larger map
Your rating: None
- Alice Fennell
- Second Inbetweeners movie on the cards, says Mirror
- Sacha Baron Cohen sent goat by movie studio
- Ciaran Murtagh
- Alexander Bennett
- Jack Whitehall's NTA role 'safe' after Big Fat Quiz row says producer
- A nice chat with Joe Lycett
- Ruth Jones's Stella heads up Sky's new comedy line-up
- Tim Minchin makes mincemeat of Altitude's Alpine comedy slopes
- That 10 O'Clock Live: what we've learnt