Adam and Joe win Sony Radio Academy Award
Andrew Mickel10 May 2010
Adam and Joe have won Best Comedy Show at the prestigious Sony Radio Academy Awards.
The award, was one of two won by the beleaguered station BBC 6 Music, which as been threatened with closure by the BBC.
Adam Buxton, who has recently returned to the station with his Saturday morning show, Adam Buxton’s big mix tape, said: "My children went to school and boasted about the fact that their dad was on Radio 1 and knew Chris Moyles.
"When the children found out that wasn't true and, in fact, the station that dad was on was closing, it was very disappointing."
The Sony Radio Academy Awards, which are judged over 100 industry professionals, are the UK's most prestigious radio accolades in the country.
The station, which was founded in 2002, is seen as a leading station for new musical output, it also hosts a large range of comedy content with presenters including Jon Richardson (who recently left the station to pursue a full-time stand-up career), and Richard Herring making regular appearances.
The awards come after the BBC announced major cuts to its services earlier this year including the closure of BBC 6 Music and Asian Network.
Buxton added that Joe had given him a message to read out while collecting the award: ''Joe gave me a message to read, it says: 'If we win why don't you strip naked and shout ''Save 6 music.''
- Commissioners and TV executives
- Where there's a Wil (Anderson) there's a way
- The Wrestling takes panel prize at Edinburgh Fringe comedy awards
- London Sketchfest 2013: What you need to know
- Mark Thomas stands up for free theatre
- Sketchfest: Thünderbards select their favourite bards and Thunderbirds
- Al Murray heads to Radio 5 Live with Seven Day Saturday
- Widdicombe, Christmas, Pappy's and Dommett head to Green Man comedy stage
- The Thick Of It heads to U.S. as Armando Iannucci pens show for HBO
- MTV LOL: Some comedians in some music videos