Armando Iannucci pens U.S. version of The Thick Of It for HBO
Tim Clark1 November 2010
Armando Iannucci, the director of highly successful political comedy The Thick Of It is reportedly working on a new pilot episode for a new U.S. based version of the show.
Working with HBO, the show has a working title of ‘veep’ and centres around a female U.S. senator, no doubt from Alaska, who becomes vice president.
Producers from the show are in talks with Julia Louis-Dreyfus to appear as Senator Selina Meyer, while Iannucci has bought his writing team from The Thick Of It over to the States to help bring the show to fruition.
The Thick Of It was the highly successful political satire which aimed to show the convoluted relations at the heart of the British government.
The series spawned a spin-off film called In The Loop which was set around the negotiations between the British and U.S. governments in the run up to the Iraq war.
There have been attempts to convert The Thick Of It for U.S. audiences before, but Iannucci himself described the previous pilot as ‘terrible’.
- All your Christmas problems, solved in a timely manner, by Sam Simmons
- Alice Fennell
- Edgar Wright
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy
- The Cutting Room Floor: Peacock & Gamble on the ideas they haven't done
- Sketchfest: Casual Violence are all scared of Greg
- Underbelly 2013: comedy picks
- Maddy Carrick
- Good Night: the stunning fun of Pun Run