Armando Iannucci pens U.S. version of The Thick Of It for HBO
Tim Clark1 November 2010
Armando Iannucci, the director of highly successful political comedy The Thick Of It is reportedly working on a new pilot episode for a new U.S. based version of the show.
Working with HBO, the show has a working title of ‘veep’ and centres around a female U.S. senator, no doubt from Alaska, who becomes vice president.
Producers from the show are in talks with Julia Louis-Dreyfus to appear as Senator Selina Meyer, while Iannucci has bought his writing team from The Thick Of It over to the States to help bring the show to fruition.
The Thick Of It was the highly successful political satire which aimed to show the convoluted relations at the heart of the British government.
The series spawned a spin-off film called In The Loop which was set around the negotiations between the British and U.S. governments in the run up to the Iraq war.
There have been attempts to convert The Thick Of It for U.S. audiences before, but Iannucci himself described the previous pilot as ‘terrible’.
- Camp Bestival
- Monty Python black and white
- MTV LOL: Some comedians in some music videos
- Edinburgh Fringe 2012 picks: Young Guns
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 100 - 81
- Beth O’Brien: ‘I had to learn quite quickly, which is a good thing’
- Comedy Central plans live improv advert
- Billy Bragg's Handyman Blues, featuring Stewart Lee, Kevin Eldon Johnny Vegas
- Comedy gets actorly: George Wendt, Andi Osho, Charlie Hanson and more talk about the thesp life
- Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival 2013 most successful ever