Billy Connolly almost picked as Doctor Who
Tim Clark19 April 2010
Scottish comedian Billy Connolly was almost chosen as one of the reincarnation of Doctor Who, it has been revealed.
According to Doctor Who historian Alex Westhorp Connolly was almost chosen as the Doctor for a one-off TV movie in 1996.
BBC bosses had spied Connolly playing alongside Dame Judy Dench in the film Mrs Brown and thought that his acting skills merited a place on the shortlist for the role of Time Lord.
Westhorp said: "Billy was seriously considered for the eighth Doctor.
"Billy's acting was so good, everyone was talking about him as a serious actor.
"I think he would have brought his own unique sense of comedy to the character, and would have made an incredibly special Doctor.
"Connolly could easily have made that role his own and taken it to another level altogether."
- Richard Herring to launch paid video podcasts
- 99 Club Pick & Mix Launch Night - Jade the Folk singer, Alan Parker and Robin Ince
- Tim Minchin heading to Greenwich Comedy Festival 2011
- Rory McGrath arrested over assault
- All your Christmas problems, solved in a timely manner, by Sam Simmons
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- Shaun of the Dead lives again - thanks to Edgar Wright
- Sketchfest: The Pin are dog botherin'
- Simon Pegg and Nick Frost hint at possible NZ film
- Tim Minchin teams up with filmmaker for animated version of Storm