Bo Burnham nominated for Edinburgh Comedy Award
American teenage comedy sensation Bo Burnham, who is appearing at his first Fringe, has been nominated alongside inbetweeners star Greg Davies, as well as Josie Long, Russell Kane and Sarah Millican as the best act at the Edinburgh Comedy Awards 2010.
Now in it’s 30th year, the world’s most prestigious comedy prize, which comes with a £10,000 cash reward for the winner, is given to the most outstanding act at the Edinburgh Fringe.
The prize, which was formerly known as the Perrier’s and the If.Comedie awards, has been sponsored by beer giant Fosters for the first time.
Previous winners include Lee Evans, Steve Coogan, Al Murray, Frank Skinner and Sean Hughes, Brendan Burns, David O’Doherty, and Daniel Kitson.
The nomination is confirmation of the rise of Burnham, whose internet songs have been a world-wide sensation on YouTube and watched by millions around the world.
On the shortlist for best newcomer are Imran Yusuf, Asher Treleaven, Gareth Richards, Late Night Gimp Fight, Roisin Conaty and the underground hit of the Fringe, The Boy with tape on his face.
Nica Burns, producer of the Edinburgh Comedy Awards said: "Two fantastic 30th anniversary shortlists which reflect the enormous changes in the comedy landscape.
"For the first time two first-class female comics, Josie Long and Sarah Millican, both Best Newcomer winners, join 20-year-old Bo Burnham in an outstanding Edinburgh debut, Greg Davies from We Are Klang in his first solo show and Russell Kane winning his third consecutive nomination.
"It took a very impassioned, intense debate to select the nominees from an extremely strong and diverse long list.
"2010 will be remembered as a vintage year for comedy."
The nominations for Best Comedy Show, which has a £10,000 prize, are:
- Bo Burnham: Words, Words, Words
- Greg Davies: Firing Cheeseballs at a Dog
- Josie Long: Be Honourable!
- Russell Kane: Smokescreens and Castles
- Sarah Millican: Chatterbox
The nominations for Best Newcomer are:
- Imran Yusuf: An Audience with Imran Yusuf
- Asher Treleaven: Secret Door
- Gareth Richards: Stand Up Between Songs
- Late Night Gimp Fight!
- Roisin Conaty: Hero, Warrior, Fireman, Liar
- The Boy With The Tape on His Face
- Commissioners and TV executives
- Shameless star recreates American Beauty strip pic for Comic Relief
- Sketchfest: Thünderbards select their favourite bards and Thunderbirds
- Widdicombe, Christmas, Pappy's and Dommett head to Green Man comedy stage
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- Good Night: Scrumptious heats up comedy with curry
- The Thick Of It heads to U.S. as Armando Iannucci pens show for HBO
- 99 Club Pick & Mix Launch Night - Jade the Folk singer, Alan Parker and Robin Ince
- Casual Violence
- The Wrestling takes panel prize at Edinburgh Fringe comedy awards