Cardiff Comedy Festival is searching for a new Welsh comedy star
Tim Clark7 April 2010
Organisers of the Cardiff Comedy Festival are looking for fresh, unsigned Welsh talent to perform at this year's festival in late July.
The Cardiff Comedy Festival is trying to secure itself as one of the UK's big comedy events, and is upping its game with a strong line-up including Russel Kane, Jo Caulfield, Pappy's and Phil Nichol (winner of the if.comeddie award at last year's Edinburgh Festival).
The Festival, which takes place at the end of July, will also be championing homegrown acts. Big Welsh stand-up Rhod Gilbert is on the line-up, along with other Welsh acts who are tipped for big things like Chris Corcoran, Lloyd Langford, Matt Price, Elis James and Mike Bubbins.
The Welsh Unsigned Stand-up Award (WUSA) is searching for an aspiring Welsh comedian to join them on the bill. They are looking for an unsigned stand-up who is Welsh, or someone who has lived in Wales for a year, with 7-10 minutes of original material.
Heats take place monthly at Nos Da backpackers hostel in Cardiff and are judged by a panel of local industry pundits. The semi-final and final will be during the festival, and the winner will perform at the Grand Gala Finale in front of 1,600 people, taking home £1,000.
For more information on the Cardiff Comedy Festival, or to run for the Welsh Unsigned Stand-up Award fill in an application form from www.cardiffcomedy.co.uk and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Commissioners and TV executives
- Where there's a Wil (Anderson) there's a way
- Shameless star recreates American Beauty strip pic for Comic Relief
- Mark Thomas stands up for free theatre
- Sketchfest: Thünderbards select their favourite bards and Thunderbirds
- Widdicombe, Christmas, Pappy's and Dommett head to Green Man comedy stage
- Good Night: Scrumptious heats up comedy with curry
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- The Thick Of It heads to U.S. as Armando Iannucci pens show for HBO
- 99 Club Pick & Mix Launch Night - Jade the Folk singer, Alan Parker and Robin Ince