Facebook campaign launched to lift Frank Sidebottom's World Cup song to No 1
A Facebook campaign has been launched to lift comedy character Frank Sidebottom’s World Cup song to the No 1. spot.
Frank Sidebottom’s creator Chris Sievey passed away earlier this week, and to mark his death a facebook campaign has been launched to drive his single Three Shirts on my Line – a song inspired from the Frank Skinner song Three Lions – to the top of the charts. The group, and a similar twitter group have attracted 4,000 followers between them. Sievey passed away on Tuesday after a long battle against cancer. With his giant papar-mache head Sidebottom was one of the cult characters of the ‘80s. According to The Daily Telegraph, Mof Gimmers, who created the facebook group said: "A lot of comedians get quite famous and leave Manchester, but Chris stuck around. I think most people in Manchester had some connection to him. "The World Cup single might give everyone a bit of cheer in what has been a pretty miserable campaign so far. "Unfortunately it does not seem to exist on iTunes - we need to get onto them so that people can buy it and make some money for charity." Frank Sidebottom was a singer song-writer who had several chart hits including Christmas Is Really Fantastic, Timperley EP, and a Smiths parody Panic! Writer Jon Ronson and comedian Phill Jupitus have also helped raise awareness of a fund set-up to raise money for Sievey's funeral. The fund can be found by searching #franksfund on the micro-blogging site.
- The Daily Mail guide to feigning outrage about comedy
- Tim Minchin heading to Greenwich Comedy Festival 2011
- Richard Herring to launch paid video podcasts
- Shaun of the Dead lives again - thanks to Edgar Wright
- The Thick Of It heads to U.S. as Armando Iannucci pens show for HBO
- Rory McGrath arrested over assault
- Richard Herring kept awake ahead of Latitude show by 'gaylords'
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- The Cutting Room Floor: Peacock & Gamble on the ideas they haven't done
- Shameless star recreates American Beauty strip pic for Comic Relief