Frankie Boyle digs his claws into Mark Watson after comedian pens critical blog
Andrew Mickel7 January 2011
Frankie Boyle has thrown his comedy toys well and truly out of the pram today with a full blown attack on fellow comedian Mark Watson.
Boyle has become incensed after discovering a blog written by Watson in April which criticised his choice of material at a time when the comedian (Boyle) was embroiled in a row over a joke about a downs syndrome child.
In the blog Watson pondered whether it was right for a 'a rich, successful and physically healthy man should be able to make tons of money by taking the piss out of Down's Syndrome, and pass it off as entertainment'.
Though the blog was posted eight months ago, it had escaped Boyle's attentions until today, whereby upon it's discovery the comedian felt obliged to post a response.
Naming Watson a 'sell out' Boyle digged into Watson's reputation and his contract to sell Magners cider: "You built up a certain indie credibility over the years with your stand-up," Boyle said.
"You then sold that credibility to sell cider. Why don't you leave the discussions of jokes to people who have heard them and stick to pushing booze on teenagers? In a country of alcoholics."
Watson has since posted a reply apologizing to Boyle - and his legion of angry fans who have since sent a plethora of comments his direction on the micro-blogging website.
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- 99 Club Pick & Mix Launch Night - Jade the Folk singer, Alan Parker and Robin Ince
- Shaun of the Dead lives again - thanks to Edgar Wright
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 20 - 1
- British Comedy Awards 2012: who should clearly win
- Camp Bestival
- Tim Minchin teams up with filmmaker for animated version of Storm
- The Thick Of It heads to U.S. as Armando Iannucci pens show for HBO
- Judges announced for London Sketchfest
- Boris is on board, Boyle has a ceremony and lots of comedy events: the Olympic week in video