Holly Walsh injured after leaping from pier in Birdman competition
Tim Clark15 August 2010
Comedian Holly Walsh has been badly injured after leaping from a pier in Worthing, West Sussex in a mock helicopter as part of a Birdman competition.
The CBBC presenter, who was competing to raise money for Rainbows Children's Hospice, was injured after entering the water in an awkward position.
The presenter, who has reportedly suffered a suspected fractured arm and a dislocated shoulder, was strapped to a spinal board and taken to Hospital immediately after being rescured from the water.
Shoreham lifeboat spokesman Dave Cassan, said: "We can confirm we were tasked to get a person out of the water.
"It appears she entered the water wrong. It is thought she has a serious fracture above her elbow and a dislocated shoulder. The inshore lifeboat brought her to the shore at Worthing and she was transferred to hospital by ambulance."
The International Birdman Competition is a two-day event which draws up to 10,000 spectators to the seaside town each year. The event encourages participants to leap off the pier in their own home-made flying machines.
Other entrants in the competition included an Own and a Pussycat – with their own rowing boat – and Batman and Robin.
- Commissioners and TV executives
- Josie Long stars in short film Rain on Film
- Shaun of the Dead lives again - thanks to Edgar Wright
- Turtle Canyon's Chubby Bunny gets You Tube premiere
- Simon Pegg and Nick Frost hint at possible NZ film
- Sketchfest: Robin and Partridge want booking at Jongleurs
- Shameless star recreates American Beauty strip pic for Comic Relief
- Widdicombe, Christmas, Pappy's and Dommett head to Green Man comedy stage
- Jarlath Regan: sick of being the nice guy
- Sketchfest: The Pin are dog botherin'