Iannucci OBE on honours list; Alistair Campbell not happy
Andrew Mickel16 June 2012
Armando Iannucci will be picking up an OBE in this year's honours list.
Armando Giovanni Iannucci was awarded the honour for his broadcasting work.
However, Alistair Campbell – the clearest inspiration behind one of Iannucci's most famous creations, foul-mouthed Malcolm Tucker in the Thick of It – wrote on Twitter this morning: “So @AIannucci OBE joins the Establishment he claims to deride. Malcolm Tucker and I do not approve of honours system.”
Iannucci responded that “[i]t's probably more Establishment to order your army to march into other countries for no reason. Swings and roundabouts.”
Amid other tweets stating his approval of Iannucci's work, Campbell attempted to channel Tucker, noting: “F-ing make him what he is by taking on public school establishment w---ers & he f-ing joins em”.
Iannucci made his first foray into broadcast comedy at Radio 1 before moving on to Radio 4, transferring to TV with the Day Today, and working on many celebrated comedies of the last two decades including Alan Partridge and The Thick Of It. You can read more on his profile page here.
Iannucci is currently enjoying success in America with the critically-acclaimed reception for Veep, the Thick Of It-esque HBO comedy following an American vice-president. It is being widely tipped to pick up an Emmy later this year.
Richard Stilgoe received a knighthood, although for services to philanthropy rather than services to musical comedy.
- Commissioners and TV executives
- Shameless star recreates American Beauty strip pic for Comic Relief
- Sketchfest: Thünderbards select their favourite bards and Thunderbirds
- Good Night: Scrumptious heats up comedy with curry
- 99 Club Pick & Mix Launch Night - Jade the Folk singer, Alan Parker and Robin Ince
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- The Thick Of It heads to U.S. as Armando Iannucci pens show for HBO
- Widdicombe, Christmas, Pappy's and Dommett head to Green Man comedy stage
- All your Christmas problems, solved in a timely manner, by Sam Simmons
- Richard Herring to launch paid video podcasts