Josie Long, Andrew Maxwell and Adam Riches nominated for Edinburgh Comedy Award 2011
Tim Clark24 August 2011
Andrew Maxwell, Adam Riches, Josie Long, Nick Helm, Chris Ramsey and Sam Simmons have been nominated for this year's Edinburgh Comedy Award.
The eagerly awaited shortlist for the what is considered the Oscars of Stand up comedy was announced by the Fosters Edinburgh Comedy Award panel this afternoon.
Among the contenders for best newcomer are Cariad Lloyd, The Chris And Lloyd Show, American comic Hannibal Buress, Holly Walsh, Humphrey Ker, Josh Widdicombe, and Penny Dreadfuls' Tom Tuck and Totally Tom - who were nominated for their individual shows.
Nica Burns, producer of the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards said:
“This record-breaking year of 505 eligible shows demonstrates the incredible strength of the UK comedy scene, which is bursting with talent both familiar and new and continues to grow at an astonishing rate.
"Not only that: in the run-up to this year’s Fringe, everyone was predicting that 2011 would be an exceptional year for newcomers – they were right. With 100 extra newcomer shows to consider, it came as no surprise that the panel was spoilt for choice.
"This inspired the longest debate in the history of the Newcomer Award, and a second vote. Result: an unprecedented shortlist of eight, all of whom the panel feels should be encouraged, as they clearly have a brilliant future in comedy."
There will be a press call with all the nominees on Thursday 25th August at 12 Noon at The Jam House, Queen Street.
The winners will be announced on Saturday 27th August at a lunchtime ceremony at Dovecot Studios, Infirmary Street. Opening the envelopes are this year’s host Omid Djalili and last year’s Best Comedy Show winner, Russell Kane. Live music will be provided by The Horne Section.
The full list is as follows:
The nominations for Foster’s Best Comedy Show are:
• Adam Riches: Bring Me the Head of Adam Riches
• Andrew Maxwell: The Lights Are On
• Chris Ramsey: Offermation
• Josie Long: The Future Is Another Place
• Nick Helm: Dare to Dream
• Sam Simmons - Meanwhile
The nominations for Foster’s Best Newcomer are:
• Cariad Lloyd: Lady Cariad’s Characters
• The Chris and Paul Show
• Hannibal Buress- My Name is Hannibal: The Hannibal Montanabal Experience
• Holly Walsh – The Hollycopter
• Humphrey Ker is Dymock Watson: Nazi Smasher!
• Josh Widdicombe: If This Show Saves One Life
• Thom Tuck Goes Straight to DVD
• Totally Tom
- Commissioners and TV executives
- London Sketchfest 2013: What you need to know
- Secret Edinburgh
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy
- Incoming: our interview slot for new(ish) acts
- Plebs’ Tom Rosenthal interview: ‘we can do stories about incest’
- The loveliest people in comedy: a working list
- Sketchfest: The Pin are dog botherin'
- Underbelly 2013: comedy picks
- Shaun of the Dead lives again - thanks to Edgar Wright