Nick Doody and Rob Heeney's Doubling Up podcast to air unheard Bill Hicks Interview
Tim Clark27 March 2010
Bill Hicks may have made his final bow on the stage of life some years ago now but his comic genius is set carry on this month with the airing of a previously unheard interview.
The comedy podcast Doubling Up presented by Nick Doody and Rob Heeney is set to release an interview with the legendary American comic this coming Monday that was recorded less than a year before his death.
Doubling Up co-presenter Nick Doody had the chance to interview his comedy hero whilst he was a student and Hicks played the Oxford Playhouse. Not only did Nick interview him over the phone, but (as is revealed in the interview) he was invited to be the support act for the show.
Doody’s intro of Hicks in that very show can be heard at the start of his album, Salvation Of the interview Doody explains: “I've had this interview on an old C-90 cassette tape since 1992, and, with a few exceptions, have been too excruciated at hearing myself aged 19, talking to what I suppose I'd have thought of then as a 'proper comedian', to play it to anyone else.
“One of the parts that makes me cringe is my managing to give Bill the impression that I'm a stand-up comic with two years' experience, which may have been true in a technical sense but is incredibly misleading.
“At the time I'd done perhaps 12 gigs, all to my student peers, and I don't think it had yet properly dawned on me that this was what I wanted to do as a career.
“I still find listening back to it toe-gnawingly embarrassing, but it goes somewhere I certainly never imagined.”
The new exclusive interview follows the recent unveiling of a Bill Hicks documentary at the South By Southwest music festival in Austin Texas earlier this month.
The Doubling Up podcast can be downloaded from iTunes - just follow this link…
- Shameless star recreates American Beauty strip pic for Comic Relief
- 99 Club Pick & Mix Launch Night - Jade the Folk singer, Alan Parker and Robin Ince
- Sketchfest: Thünderbards select their favourite bards and Thunderbirds
- All your Christmas problems, solved in a timely manner, by Sam Simmons
- Good Night: Scrumptious heats up comedy with curry
- Stewart Lee's Alternative Comedy Experience gets second series
- Richard Herring to launch paid video podcasts
- Commissioners and TV executives
- Altitude 2010: Abandoman wows Meribel crowds
- Rory McGrath arrested over assault