Sarah Millican first female comic in ten years to shift 100,000 DVDs
Tim Clark15 December 2011
Sarah Millican Chatterbox has shifted 100,000 DVDs, making her the best-selling stand-up female comic of the last decade.
She tweeted earlier: “As of today I have sold over 100K DVDs making me the first female stand up to do so in 10 years. I'm a little teary on the train.”
Millican is currently the fifth-biggest DVD standup on Amazon, behind Peter Kay, Lee Evans, John Bishop and Micky Flanagan.
Jo Brand is the only other woman who charts in the top 100, at number 87.
Millican will be building on 2011's stellar success with her own BBC Two show in the new year.
It's been a bumper year for comedy sales. Earlier this week, Peter Kay broke the 10 million copy mark to top the competitive stand-up DVD market, and it was announced earlier today that the Inbetweeners Movie had shifted over half a million copies in its first day.
And on the other side of the Atlantic, Louis CK has found independent success, selling 10,000 copies of his show online direct to fans.
- Commissioners and TV executives
- London Sketchfest 2013: What you need to know
- Secret Edinburgh
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy
- Plebs’ Tom Rosenthal interview: ‘we can do stories about incest’
- Incoming: our interview slot for new(ish) acts
- Underbelly 2013: comedy picks
- Sketchfest: The Pin are dog botherin'
- Shaun of the Dead lives again - thanks to Edgar Wright
- Edinburgh Fringe