Stephen Fry calls for British Musuem to lose its marbles
Stephen Fry’s plea to restore the Eglin Marbles to Greece has been backed in a debate over the future of the relics in London.
Fry had backed a motion over whether the classical sculptures – which have resided in the British Museum since Lord Elgin bought them to Britian in the 19th Century – should be returned to their homeland.
Speaking to the audience in Cadogan Hall, Fry said "no matter how much the sovereign debt crisis means they owe us, we will never repay the debt that we owe Greece."
According to Fry, the British Museum should in future replace the real Elgin Marbles with a ‘Parthenon experience’ which would show visitors how the UK curated the relics before handing them over to the Acropolis Museum in Athens.
- Camp Bestival
- Monty Python black and white
- MTV LOL: Some comedians in some music videos
- Edinburgh Fringe 2012 picks: Young Guns
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 100 - 81
- Beth O’Brien: ‘I had to learn quite quickly, which is a good thing’
- Comedy Central plans live improv advert
- Billy Bragg's Handyman Blues, featuring Stewart Lee, Kevin Eldon Johnny Vegas
- Comedy gets actorly: George Wendt, Andi Osho, Charlie Hanson and more talk about the thesp life
- Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival 2013 most successful ever