Whether you love him, hate him or want to be his girlfriend Fresh Meat star Jack Whitehall is a new fixture at the top of the comedy tree. Be it in the pages of the broadsheets or on the latest comedy panel show the upper middle-class comedian whose father was agent for Judi Dench may not be to everyone’s taste, but there is no doubting that he has an incredibly quick wit and turn of phrase.
Born in Westminster, Whitehall went to school alongside Twilight star Robert Pattinson when at the Harrodian School in London, a fact that Whitehall likes to mention in his stand-up sets.
After a stint picking up all the worst habits of an independent boarding school Whitehall persued his career in stand-up and won the Amused Moose Laugh Off 2007 at the Edinburgh Fringe. Other award nominations include best newcomer at the 2008 Chortle Awards, and finalist at the 2008 Hackney Empire New Act of the Year, and the final of So You Think Your Funny.
Deciding that one year was enough for new act awards ceremonies Whitehall quickly made the transition from the stage to small screen by replacing Russell Brand as the host of Big Brother’s Big Mouth on E4 in 2008.
- Commissioners and TV executives
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 20 - 1
- Edinburgh Fringe 2012 picks: Free Fringe and free gigs
- Stewart Lee: "I don't think a 16-year-old me would want to be a comedian"
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy 60 - 41
- Danny Dyer film Run For Your Wife takes £747 at box office
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy
- The Top 100 People In Comedy 80 - 61
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 100 - 81
- Edinburgh Fringe 2012 picks: First Hours