Whether you love him, hate him or want to be his girlfriend Fresh Meat star Jack Whitehall is a new fixture at the top of the comedy tree. Be it in the pages of the broadsheets or on the latest comedy panel show the upper middle-class comedian whose father was agent for Judi Dench may not be to everyone’s taste, but there is no doubting that he has an incredibly quick wit and turn of phrase.
Born in Westminster, Whitehall went to school alongside Twilight star Robert Pattinson when at the Harrodian School in London, a fact that Whitehall likes to mention in his stand-up sets.
After a stint picking up all the worst habits of an independent boarding school Whitehall persued his career in stand-up and won the Amused Moose Laugh Off 2007 at the Edinburgh Fringe. Other award nominations include best newcomer at the 2008 Chortle Awards, and finalist at the 2008 Hackney Empire New Act of the Year, and the final of So You Think Your Funny.
Deciding that one year was enough for new act awards ceremonies Whitehall quickly made the transition from the stage to small screen by replacing Russell Brand as the host of Big Brother’s Big Mouth on E4 in 2008.
- Mark Thomas
- David Walliams: 'Steve Martin inspired me to become a stand-up'
- New Act Of The Year Showcase finalists unveiled
- Fern Brady
- Bellamy's People fans petition BBC to save axed series
- The Inbetweeners movie sequel - five locations which could work
- Josie Long, Andrew Maxwell and Adam Riches nominated for Edinburgh Comedy Award 2011
- Naz Osmanoglu
- Michael McIntyre set to become Britain's Got Talent judge
- Leicester Comedy Festival picks: best of last Edinburgh