Sarah Millican has risen through the comedy ranks to become a household name since winning the Best Newcomer Award at the Edinburgh Comedy Awards in 2008.
With a quick wit and a dark sense of humour she is often seen holding her tongue on Loose Women whenever she isn’t entertaining ever increasing crowds on the UK stand-up circuit.
Millican has also appeared on a plethora of comedy shows including Mock the Week, Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow, Have I Got News For You, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Live at the Apollo and The Bubble.
Hailing from the South Shields area of North East England Millican turned to comedy after splitting from her husband in 2004, attending writing workshops in local theatres, such as at Newcastle's Live Theatre and The Customs House, South Shields. The workshops obviously worked as of 2011 Millican is the first female comic to sell over 150,000 dvds of her latest show, Chatterbox.
Speaking to the Telegraph about her success Millican said “There were a handful of people that didn’t think women sell DVDs. It’s nice to do a two-finger salute”.
- Commissioners and TV executives
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 20 - 1
- Edinburgh Fringe 2012 picks: Free Fringe and free gigs
- Stewart Lee: "I don't think a 16-year-old me would want to be a comedian"
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy 60 - 41
- Danny Dyer film Run For Your Wife takes £747 at box office
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy
- The Top 100 People In Comedy 80 - 61
- The Top 100 most influential people in comedy: 100 - 81
- Edinburgh Fringe 2012 picks: First Hours